[Mldonkey-users] Re: Why do i have a LOWID?

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Why do i have a LOWID?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:50:50 +0100

axzv 59 <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I don't feel my download rates are bad but perhaps they could be
>>> better? for example for the file X, i have "193 good sources (96.02
>>> %)" with a dl rate at about 1.5kB/s .

>> Well, for a modem, this would be okay, for a 2mbit E1 clearly not,
>> but you did not tell anything about your lines abilities, so no one
>> can judge.

> Sorry i forgot. I have 1 ADSL line and 1 cable connection
> mixed together. So : 64/16 + 64/16 kB/s ( they work well
> with 1 routing table for each one and a "load balancing"
> default route in the main table )

I assume you mean kByte/s and not kBit/s.

>>> For the file Y, i have "201 good sources (100.00%)".  It seems my dl
>>> rates are better since i check the option "Auto max sources per
>>> downloads", instead of having the default "hard 500".

>> Of course, more bandwidth for downloads, less for network overhead.

> ok. is there an ideal value for this? It depends of your
> link I suppose and of your dls number. Is the "auto
> algorythm" used in mldonkey good enough to determine the
> optimal value?

It is. But since there is a new sources management in CVS-2.02-4, this
feature is gone in this version until pango adapts it to the new code.

> I forgot to say: for the file Y the dl rate was 20 kB/s with about the
> same number of sources than file X.

> I have more often about 2-3 kBs than 15-20 kB/s. But my dl list is
> perhaps a little too big? ( 15-18 files )

I don't think so. Your rate depends on the other side as well. And if
all sources you found so far are sitting on a slow link, you don't get
much bytes out of them.

Sometimes you are lucky, being able to download from a source giving you
a 150kByte/s rate, sometimes the only source available sits on mars with
just a 900Byte/s rate.

> Execution of "cs" give me about 30-35 kB/s for total download most of
> the time. ( 16kB/s for total upload ).  It seems a little too slower
> regarding to my 2 64kB/s links. What do you think?

Without knowing the files you download, I'd think your values are quite
average.

S°

--
Fachbegriffe der Informatik - Einfach erklärt
280: Freizeit