Re: [Mldonkey-users] steadily growing number of open connections

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] steadily growing number of open connections
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:02:39 +0100

>  I switched to 2.02-4 yesterday evening.
>  Now i encounter following problem. mldonkey starts to open connections
>  completely ignoring max_opened_connections. I have
>  'max_opened_connections = 150', now i killed mldonkey using 1000 open
>  connections (according to donitor:
>  maisenb.homeip.net/mldonkey/connections_24h.png). I know this version is
>  tagged unstable, but i think important limits should be kept. What would
>  have happened if my box would only support 1024 file-descriptors??
>

>  Besides of this 'little problem' this version runs very fine for me
>  (both for rare and popular files)

Well, mldonkey does not try to connect to clients if there is more
than max_opened_connections already opened. However, it will still
accept incoming connections since indirect clients might try to
connect it (if you refuse the connection, the indirect client might
not be available later). This has changed a few versions ago (2.02
already had this). It is probably the reason why this problem
appears.

In fact, I think the problem is that mldonkey does not try to close
the connections fast enough, when it has decided that nothing could be
done with it (ie one or both clients are queued, but with a position
too far in the queue, where a reconnect later would be better). This
causes the use of more connections than authorized, and also probably
the bug with the "new sources" queue being filled, and never emptied,
since there are already too many opened connections.

- MLDonkey