[Mldonkey-users] Re: Is it just me or no overnet = faster mldonkey?

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Is it just me or no overnet = faster mldonkey?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:51:25 +0100

Sergio Bayarri Gausi <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Can you give us your rules as an example, please? :)

>> man iptables:
>>
>> iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport $ov_port -J DROP
>> iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport $ov_port -J DROP
>> iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport $ov_port -J DROP
>> iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport $ov_port -J DROP

> Just in case someone wants to try it, it's "-j", not "-J".

Erm, of course. One might argue, that REJECT is better, because it sends
an ICMP Port Unreachable message to the sender, but since the overnet
implementations I know don't give a damn to those messages and keep
sending pakets anyway, you can also just DROP the pakets and save the
bandwidth for real traffic.

> I'm not sure if it's a psychological effect, but I blocked Overnet
> traffic as Sven suggested and the downloads have raised from 5-8kb to
> 12-14kb in a few minutes :O

You have to remove all overnet peers from your servers.ini, to really
make this work. This will also _dramatically_ decrease the memory
footprint.

mldonkey with Overnet and 2048 peers is at 70MB here, without, it's only
about 15MB.

S°

--
BOFH excuse #209:

Only people with names beginning with 'A'
are getting mail this week (a la Microsoft)