Re: [Mldonkey-users] Possible Idea for simultaineous inter-network trans

From: b8_bavard
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Possible Idea for simultaineous inter-network transfers
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:49:31 +0200

>  If so.......   can we then connect to source client B,
>  on a different side of the planet, which is gnutella2
>  ONLY, and download chunks from it's shared file, with
>  gnutella2 hash BB:BB, knowing from the step above that
>  it's the same file?

Shareaza already uses a similar system: when receiving a download
request for a file (gnutella1/2 uses HTTP for that), it replies
with different headers containing all the known identifiers (sha1,
bitprint, ed2k) for the file, so that the downloader can search for
the file using these identifiers on all networks. MLdonkey could
probably do the same.

The main problem is that you have to trust that client. A bad client
could try to break the downloads of other clients by sending by
identifiers for the file, so that the downloads will always be
corrupted since the client downloads in fact different files.

We need some kind of "trust_received_urns" option, and maybe the
possibility to choose for each file if we want to download it from
different networks. Bitzi.com for example also provides different
identifiers for a file. We could then also allow the users to add the
urns himself, instead of trusting the ones given by other clients...

Our current schedule is:
1) release 2.5 as soon as possible, with working fasttrack support
2) download the same file on different networks. This requires indeed
a huge work, mainly because it will temporarily break a lot of things
inside the current donkey/overnet plugin, and may introduce many bugs.
One possibility would be to have two edonkey plugins, the former one, and
a new one with swarming one multiple networks.

- b8_bavard (mldonkey)
Homepage: http://www.mldonkey.net/