Re: [Mldonkey-users] Mldonkey and anonymity

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Mldonkey and anonymity
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:54:06 +0200

Le Mon, 26 May 2003 12:43:06 +0200, axzv59 <address@hidden> a écrit :

> I had been using mldonkey for a few monthes but i stopped because
> here in France, some providers had threaten their customers, even if
> I think this a more due to kazaa than the edonkey network.

AFAIK, only AOL (aka Time Warner) threatened some of its customers, other
ISPs only relayed external complains.

> I think anonymity is really and will be really more and more a
> problem regarding to future laws. So i don't understand why this not
> more considerate by mldonkey developpers.

What you want requires a network design (if at all achievable), not
something that can be reached by a simple client modification.

Many projects are popping up, that are supposed to bring back some
anonymity. What kind of anonymity properties exactly, and at what price,
must be evaluated.

Also, many properties of those networks are lost if you use other networks
concurrently, so this kills the "multi network" idea. I don't think trying
to port those protocols into MLdonkey would be worth the trouble.