Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLDonkey on VFAT

From: Pierre Etchemaite
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] MLDonkey on VFAT
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:57:58 +0200

Le Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:24:52 +0200, Andrea Cascio <address@hidden> a
écrit :

> Hi people,
> I've got a dual-boot (w2k/linux) system with all the files I'd like to
> share on a FAT32 partition. If I install and start mlnet from a fat32
> partition (vfat under linux), should I expect strange problems
> (permissions, case sensitivity)? Has someone already tried this? Thank
> you.

FAT32 filesystem does'nt store file owners. So, if you can read/write files
from Linux (using correct uid=, gid= and umask= mount options), and those
rights don't map to FAT read-only attribute (which is likely), you'll have
read/write rights from Windows too.

FAT32 is "case preserving": Filename stored on disk should use the exact
case used to create the file (beware, Windows Explorer doesn't always
reflect that), and any variation of filename case should work to reopen the
file. So, all should be fine in both directions.