mod-guile-devel

Re: [Mod-guile-devel] Questions ...

From: rm
Subject: Re: [Mod-guile-devel] Questions ...
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:02:04 +0200

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:21:46PM -0400, Dale P. Smith wrote:

> I've never used CHILD.  I thought it might be a good place to open
> persistent database connections.

Yes, i think this is really usefull - i just tested forcer's cacheing
module -- seems to play nice with CHILD setup. I'd suggest to have
CHILD activated all the time  ( it's configrable anyway from within
httpd.conf).

> All those #define's are there to help me debug.  They do *not* need to
> be there.

I just removed them in my version of the code. I also changed the
TRACE(...) calls to ap_log_rerror() /ap_log_error() with the appropriate
level of warnings, so one can customize the level of debugging by changing
LogLevel in httpd.conf.

> Maybe the gbrl needs to be an option.  Actually, gbrl needs
> to be in scheme and should be hooked in using the handler interface you
> are working on.

Yes, as soon as i've finished spitting up the code into several files
i want to change the gbrl-code to work as a handler module (might make some
nice example anyway).

> > Your version of 'make install' (that i copied over to
> > 'Makefile.in' makes the DSO module executable - why?
>
> Hmm.  Didn't realize that.

Changed that in Makefile.in to 0644 and everything still seem to work fine.

> [...]
> Yes.  I've kept everything in one file for convenience.  The utility
> things should be moved into a separate file.  The table routines could
> be in another.

I just started moving code arround. In the first round this is probably
mostly 'cosmetic' -- not having everything in one flat file. So far
there's a new file pair datatypes.c/x that holds all of the ADTs (req-
record, connection-record and server-record as well as tables), but this
might get split up more. As soon as i understand the module system a bit
better (maybe there might be even better support from the libguile side)
i might want to put things into their own modules '(apache table),
'(mod-guile utils) etc.
BTW, probably more a question of coding style: i like to have as few symbols
exported as posssible. I see no reason why the mod_guile intern functions
aren't decalred 'static' (i.e. 'request_rec_get_notes' is visible to the
linker. This is asking for trouble: see your own problems with regexp).

> One thing to watch out for: I use <IfModule guile_module.c> ...
> </IFModule> .  Must make sure the module still has the right name.  I
> didn't look too deep into making a module from more than one .c file.
> I'm sure it's not hard, I was just too lazy.

This will still work, mod_guile.c is the still the main file (the one
with the module struct defined).

As soon as i have finished the first round of code-moving i'll put a new
tarball on my webserver .

 Thank's

    Ralf