modcaml

Re: [Modcaml] mod_caml/cocanwiki OCaml linking issues

From: Richard Jones
Subject: Re: [Modcaml] mod_caml/cocanwiki OCaml linking issues
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:47:28 +0100

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 01:10:34PM -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> OK,
>
> I'm getting a bit closer to my goal now. mod_caml is installed, and
> I submitted a Gentoo ebuild for it last night. Now I've
> cocanwiki built and installed on my server. However,
> I'm now getting OCaml linking errors when I try to
> start apache:
>
> # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
> * Stopping apache2...
> Syntax error on line 69 of /usr/lib/apache2/conf/vhosts/vhosts.conf:
> Failure("error while linking
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/cocan/html/_bin/cocanwiki.cma.\nReference to
> undefined global
> `ExtString'")                                            [ ok ]

Just loading ExtLib should fix this.  You need the following lines
before you load cocanwiki.cma:

CamlLoad /usr/share/mod_caml/registry.cmo
CamlLoad /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/nums.cma
CamlLoad /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/extlib/extLib.cma
CamlLoad /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/netstring/netstring.cma
CamlLoad /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/postgres/postgres.cma
CamlLoad /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/dbi/dbi.cma
CamlLoad /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/dbi/dbi_postgres.cmo
CamlLoad /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/calendar/calendar.cma

(Actually I'm not sure if _all_ of those are required for COCANWIKI,
but certainly many of them are ...)

> I'm used to using ocamlfind, so I didn't understand why cocanwiki
> was trying to build using directories relative to the ocaml base. It
> wouldn't compile that way, because findlib defaults to putting new
> pacakges in a different directory from the ocaml base.  So I changed
> it, and it built.

Yes, that's a mistake.  I need to fix the Makefile to use ocamlfind
ocamlc ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.