monit-general

Re: The day I lost my job due to monit

From: Werner Flamme
Subject: Re: The day I lost my job due to monit
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 09:56:53 +0100

Am 10.12.2020 um 12:53 schrieb Phil Townes:
> This issue was highlighted on a number of IT news pages and blogs in the
> week or two prior to the issuing CA expiring.  A decent CA should also have
> made contact with their customers.
>
> We were also bitten by this issue as well, so I now have a shell script
> which checks all certificates in a chain for impending expiry.  I'm happy
> to share if that would help anyone.

Sorry, I still don't get it. How can a certificate in the chain expire
before the "last" certificate (for the server) expires? That means that
a CA signs customer certificates for a longer period than their own
certificate is valid. Can this happen? I never saw this with mine. Their
validity was shortened due to the limited validity of the CA's certificate.

Werner

--
Werner Flamme, Abt. WKDV
SAP Certified Technology Associate for NetWeaver/Oracle

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH - UFZ
Permoserstr. 15 - 04318 Leipzig / Germany
Tel.: +49 341 235-1921 - Fax +49 341 235-451921

Information nach §§ 37a HGB, 35a GmbHG:
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Leipzig
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Leipzig, Handelsregister Nr. B 4703
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in Oda Keppler
Wissenschaftlicher Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Georg Teutsch
Administrative Geschäftsführerin: Dr. Sabine König