Re: keeping monotone dvcs aline

From: grarpamp
Subject: Re: keeping monotone dvcs aline
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 05:06:03 -0500

> Grarpamp, I just discovered monotone last year while searching for a
> minimalist no-bullshit dvcs, and promptly became quite fond of it. Sadly
> it seems like it's on the verge of death. Would you or anyone else you
> know be interested in collaborating to get Lapo Luchini's 1.2dev branch
> compiling on OpenBSD again?

Hi :) You probably want to subscribe to any of the above lists
for quicker replies without private bcc.

Which branchname do you refer to?

The most recent revs in the whole repo since 2020 are...

1) net.venge.monotone.lapo.pcre842:337d3afac2b27897945521c80d0bce3a88e815b9
2) net.venge.monotone.lapo.botan2:2ce921ea3f36ba57fe832b3a48541f7bdee23ed8

Will try to test the recent work mailpost about:
".lapo.pcre842 on FreeBSD (14.0-RELEASE-p1)".

Maybe try that to get closer to OpenBSD for you?

I may have suggested some continuance paths for projects before,
some parts of which may be useful here or not applicable...
- Establish an open code repo somewhere (preferably with a ticket tracker)
 so people can commit whatever works. Doesn't have to be self hosted,
 but can be (even on tor / i2p if need be). Plenty of public git sites to
 choose from. (And if you want a monotone repo, you'd have to host that.)
- Archive all the historical web docs and mail content there in some files.
- Make some various continuance announcements to old and new
 channels, forums, lists, etc.
- Collect and apply all unapplied patches from dev and user lists, and
 from the ports systems of each BSD and Linux OS.
- Move the project forward on a roadmap from there.
There are a number of good software projects that grew deadlike, for which
any volunteers should not hesitate to move over to a new continuance.

As for monotone... you'd probably want to...
- Get to a "compiles and works" release on a current popular BSD and Linux.
- Get it back into those two package repos, say FreeBSD and Linux Arch.
 That would give a popular binary to bootstrap more users / devs.
 A static compiled linux binary might help across linux.
- Export something to github for eyeballs.
- Update to botan3 to ensure some good lifetime therein,
 and update all other library dependencies to their latest versions.
- Cut another public release.
- Add it back into more repos.

Some repos are here, but all use old botan...

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/monotone
https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/devel/monotone/
https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/devel/monotone?id=0d7cb34dd52d41b20e82c966d9613c5521c2659c
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/devel/monotone/