nano-devel

Re: spotlight and cutting/copying/zapping

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: spotlight and cutting/copying/zapping
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 11:41:32 +0100

Op 08-03-2021 om 03:16 schreef Liu Hao:
> 在 2021/3/8 上午2:39, Benno Schulenberg 写道:
>>> When someone is tempted to cut this
>>> occurrence by pressing Ctrl-K, instead of spotted text, the whole line is
>>> cut. Is
>>> there something we can improve further?
>>
>> I don't know.  Any suggestions?  I've tried adding italic, but that doesn't
>> look nice: the last letter in the selection tends to get clipped.
>
> I suggest blinking without color changes.

I've tried it (simple white plus A_BLINK), but... I don't like it: it is not
very visible.  Also, when searching for a regex, I want to read what it has
found, but I only see where it has found something when the text disappears,
and then I have to wait half a second for it to reappear, and then I have
only half a second to read before it disappears again.  This is not usable.
Also, blinking does not work on a Linux console, so this is not an option,
even apart from blinking in itself being annoying.

> Or maybe underline?

I've tried it, but it's even less visible than blinking.  And underline does
not work on a Linux console.  So this is not an option either.

Benno