nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] localizer works mysterious

From: Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] localizer works mysterious
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 17:50:55 +0100

Claus Rosenberger wrote:

i have read after sending my last mail. okay why don't use the session ?
zope offer the feature to use it.

My rationale:

* sessions are overkilling for something so simple

* when using a ZEO cluster session information must be stored
  in the database, which is more overkilling

* there is nothing bad to use an absolute url in this context

* to use absolute urls you only need to change two lines

* it adds a new dependency on Zope, when the trend for future
  versions of Localizer is to relax the Zope dependency (this
  also helps when upgrading to new Zope versions)

* the pair changeLanguage/changeLanguageForm does not pretend
  to do everything, they are only a quick way to get a widget
  that changes the language, not everything needs to be done
  out of the box

* there are probably other stronger reasons against using sessions,
  for example, the language information is stored in the server
  so it does not travel through the network, this could be important
  if you want to build a cache between the client and the server

In summary: it is overkilling, it adds a new dependency on Zope (I
don't like it) and it would make some things (caching, ??) harder.

I could reconsider my position only if more people supports your
proposal.

But don't get too much angry with me, ;-), I appreciate your patch
and your help, many thanks.

Note: I cc to the localizer mailing list, I prefer to keep the
discussion there.

Cheers,

--
J. David Ibáñez, http://www.j-david.net
Software Engineer / Ingénieur Logiciel / Ingeniero de Software