Re: [Octal-dev] docs?

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] docs?
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:51:00 -0400

> just to clarify - as i understand this, the machine is responsible for making
> this polyphony work - if you set max_tracks above 1, you should also make sure
> that all the tracks are synthesized and mixed together in your output buffer.
>
> hope this is so...

Yes. Like Buzz, the user will be able to add and subtract tracks
dynamically (as long as the machine type allows this.) The *handling* of
polyphony is machine-dependent, and not dictated by the API or OCTAL
itself. (I've seen UG-plugin API's being promoted, and I'm not
mentioning any names, where these kinds of impositions are made; i.e. a
stereo effect plugin is just two mono plugins glued together by some
host mixing code. OCTAL lets you do it either way internally.)

> so i'd like to hear your ideas when it comes to making sure these layers stay
> independent (as much as possible) in the code, so it wouldn't take a complete
> rewrite to transplant the octal on systems with different GUI and media
> abstractions than linux.

Right now, the audio output subsystem is hidden behind an interface
which will make porting possible, if not easy; no references to Linux
audio API's appear outside of one source file. (Someone ported it to
Win32 already, but he disappeared when I asked to see the source.)

The core itself is structured as a library, so that more than one
interface can be implemented on top of it. Since it refers to devices
only in terms of the driver interface inside, I suspect it will be very
portable.

But, one thing at a time :-)

--
@@@ david o'toole