Re: [Octal-dev] SoundTracker and Octal

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] SoundTracker and Octal
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 23:20:36 -0400

> I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to adopt the
> Octal engine to the SoundTracker [1] frontend?

Hi, sorry it took me awhile to reply.

I had a brief discussion about this a while back, on the Soundtracker
mailing list. I think it's possible; i.e. the soundtracker front end
could express track effects in terms of adding a chain of OCTAL effect
machines to each track (which is generated by a single-voice sample
player machine per track.) This seemed to me to be the most direct way
to map a traditional tracker architecture onto that of GNU OCTAL.

I'm not sure how simple it would be. I'll probably know more when OCTAL
Tracker reaches version 1.0.

One thing that seemed much easier was to add support for OX_API effect
plugins to the existing soundtracker; this could probably be hacked up
in a few hours, and wouldn't require a rewrite of either application.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden