Re: [Octal-dev] The 95% solution

From: Ola Sverre Bauge
Subject: Re: [Octal-dev] The 95% solution
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:23:36 +0200 (MEST)

 > Maybe I made a mistake in the docs; there should be at least a
 > commented-out line reading
 >
 > samp* xlin, xrin;
 >
 > Denoting a left and right aux channel. If I've left this out somewhere,
 > can you point it out to me so I can fix it?

Grepping the public-release alpha from March 28 turns up
nothing, but it would appear to be under 1.5.4 in the spec,
d'oh.  Probably the figure in the introduction that got me.

 > [installation music snip]
 > > demonstrates, you don't really need anything special for
 > > this.  Heck, I've seen XM modules with surround sound.
 >
 > Wow, which tracker? :-)

FT2, it was just a sweeping sample or two.  (Well, of course
it'd have to be two to get around FT2's mono sample limit.)
With the surround encoding in the sample, as Mosher said.
Song was by one Christopher Page.

 > > if you want to get around it.  I say this is as a man who
 > > created possibly the worst circus tent machine layout in
 > > history to get around Buzz's mono input limitation.
 >
 > Haha :-). What was your solution?

Basically splitting the left and right channels and having
two rows of identical effect machines.  The pain of keeping
the parameters in sync haunts me to this day.

<ego padding="400%">
It's up at http://home.telia.no/osb/noiz/pzykojazz.bmx if
anyone want to see for themselves. (under Netscape, you'll
have to do `save link as' through the directory listing
since Telia won't let me fix the MIME types anymore.  Must
remember to switch webspace one of these days...)  Don't
press play if you value your ears, this is `cat core >
/dev/audio` type stuff.
</ego>

                                        -Ola <address@hidden>