Re: Hannibal...yuck!

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Hannibal...yuck!
Date: Mon Feb 12 01:06:02 2001

> >From Avagato:
> >Ari and I watched Silence of the Lambs last night.
> So I went to Hannibal yesterday and I feel it's my duty to warn anyone
> reading this that it is by far the worst movie I've seen in years. Anthony
> Hopkins is convincing, but overall it is just an absolutely disgusting,
> unbelievable (the horrible finale is technically not possible), overhyped,

( i will try to give my little review without giving anything away )

I thought the script was actually put together pretty well. It does have
its faults: one subplot that causes a lull in the middle, etc, but overall
it seemed to fit the tone (but not the pace) of Silence of the Lambs.

The operatic gore scenes have gotten a lot of attention, but none of
them felt gratuitous. Most of the gross-out scenes are also played for
laughs (food jokes, almost all of Gary Oldman's scenes, etc.) They kind of
had to give the film this bizarre sense of humor, or the violence would be
too much to take. I would place "Hannibal" in the same category as that
movie "Happiness"... i.e. extremely dark comedy where the events of the
film probably aren't meant to be taken literally. The tone is set very
early on in the movie (cf. flashback scenes.)

I don't think it measures up to Silence, though. Julianne Moore does an
impressive job of playing a decade-older Clarice Starling, but the story
gives her so little to do that she ends up with about as much screen time
as some of the minor players.

Still, there is some depth to the writing of Lecter's character---his
literary interests, etcetera.

I agree that the film's ending does not make a whole lot of sense. My mom
had read both the novels before seeing the movies, and after we saw the
film she told me that while that infamous scene does happen (I'm waiting
for it to show up on SNL) the ending is much more fleshed out. In
addition, in the book there seems to have finally been some background on
Lecter and why he is so insane. We get some insight into his reasoning
through the monologues he gives, but the film doesn't cover his past.

Overall I'd say it's a confusing but absorbing sequel, and not for those
with weak stomachs :-).

> Btw, David, I hope you feel better soon.

I'm feeling much better now, thank you :-). I have a show coming up next
weekend in Boston, will try to get something out before then...

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden