Re: Octal in embedded system

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Octal in embedded system
Date: Fri Nov 15 01:27:05 2002

On the topic of embedded systems, like those audio rack-pc's that some
companies sell, I see no reason why Octal could not eventually be
pre-installed on one. On the linux-audio-dev lists people often discuss
business models where a highly tuned, configured PC is sold with tons of
free/OSS audio software. It's a moot point for now because
unfortunately, what linux audio software does exist is not very
interoperable---divergent approaches abound in audio device API's,
application interconnection protocols, DSP plugin interfaces, instrument
models, timing, low-latency kernel patches, etc etc etc. Complete chaos,
as with virtually every domain where the UNIX/GNU/OSS movement is
experiencing growth. And I am going to make it worse with this weird
project :-) but this is all a side issue.

With respect to MP3; the original poster is kind of vague about exactly
what he wants to do, so I will guess. I don't see Octal as a big part
of, say, an MP3-scratcher/sequencer/mixer for laptop mp3 DJ sets. It
would have to load, stream, and play MP3 data from disk, and that seems
rather tangential to the main project. (If written as a JACK client,
however, it could act as one audio source in an Octal session.)

I'm sure there are programs to trap audio output from just about
anything and pipe it to mp3 and then out over the internet. Patent
issues aside, virtually everyone has access to streaming mp3, so if you
want to use Octal as part of a webcast radio show that gets pumped out
in mp3, nothing's stopping you.