Re: octave presentation, part 2

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: octave presentation, part 2
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:23:12 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:30 PM, David Bateman
<address@hidden> wrote:
Matlab introduced in
2008a the OnCleanup function that has similar functionality to the
unwind_protect structure, though I think the Octave way of doing it is
cleaner.

unwind_protect (though I'd prefer try/finally as in C++) is much
cleaner, because it is, at least to me, completely
unclear in what order the various variables are destroyed at the end
of the function.
Yes, this is also why I don't like the OnCleanup function. Though matlab leveraged there Object code and the Object destructors to get this function to work, so eventually if Michael's suggestted changes are made we could have the same function... I wrote a stopgap version of OnCleanup also that abuses the unwind_protect code to work (check the lists).
What do you mean by "closures"?

The ability of anonymous function handles to grab values from their scope, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_(computer_science)
Thanks.

The "GSVD" function is part of the linear-algebra package of octave-forge

I'll mention this. Are there plans to include it in Octave?
I suppose it should be included in Octave as it is a matlab core function.. Its probably just a question of the work needed to import it..
You can write a C mex wrapper to a fortran function and so I'm not sure this
is a real limitation.

True, but still in Fortran you can bypass the wrapper, right?
Yeah, I suppose its just a matter of work to write the fortran MEX API.

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary