Re: octave presentation, part 2

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: octave presentation, part 2
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:27:18 -0500 (EST)

   In Spanish and French, I always use "libre", and everyone knows
   what I mean. [...]  It's just a matter of emphasis and resolving an
   ambiguity in English.

That's a good point---it's curious that the basic word 'freedom' has
such complicated connotations and derivations in different languages,
even those with common ancestry. As an aside, in my native Polish the
word for 'freedom' is 'wolnosc' which unfortunately also means
'slowness', so the Polish translation of 'free software', 'wolne
oprogramowanie', means both 'software libre' and 'slow software'.
Please spare me the obvious ethnic jokes :).