Re: FLTK changesets [was: branching for release?]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: FLTK changesets [was: branching for release?]
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 07:48:31 -0500

On Jan 20, 2011, at 8:02 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 6:59 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Jan 19, 2011, at 3:58 PM, logari81 wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Current version of the fltk backend doesn't show minor ticks/grid,
>>> there is no bug report for this, but there is a patch:
>>> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-January/022173.html
>>>
>>> 2. a)Color of axis labels / b)Positioning of axis labels at right and
>>> top:
>>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31800
>>> a) there is a patch for the colors, waiting for evaluation
>>> b) I can provide a patch for the positioning after the patch of (1) is
>>> accepted/pushed
>>>
>>> 3. I would also like to apply this patch:
>>> https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2011-January/022108.html
>>> but this also depend on the progress on (1)
>>>
>>> 4. Axes Position/Outerpositioning/Tightinset synchronization
>>> Probably will not do it for 3.4. I have a plan for fixing this but it is
>>> quite a long of work still (also depends on (1) and (3))
>>>

>>> Concerning the replacement of "backend" I don't have any fixed opinion.
>>> Concerning replacing "fltk" I would vote against "fltk_opengl", I would
>>> prefer one of "fltk" or "opengl".
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Kostas
>>
>> I hope to look at the three changesets below in the next few days.
>>
>>      1. minorticks-restructure-draw_axes.changeset
>>      2. bug-31800-color.changeset
>>      3. axes-ticks-positioning.changeset
>>
>> My intention is to run Soren's dump_demo script and make sure there are no
>> obvious reversions.
>>
>> I'll respond back to this thread with what I find.
>>
>> If there are no objections, and there are no reversions, I'll ask Kostas to
>> push.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Regarding the second changeset, bug-31800-color.changeset, I get an error
> when running the "axis" demos.
>
> axis example 1:
> t=0:0.01:2*pi; x=sin(t);
>
> subplot(221);
> plot(t, x);
> title("normal plot");
>
> subplot(222);
> plot(t, x);
> title("square plot");
> axis("square");
>
> subplot(223);
> plot(t, x);
> title("equal plot");
> axis("equal");
>
> subplot(224);
> plot(t, x);
> title("normal plot again");
> axis("normal");
>
> axis example 1: failed
> get: unknown axes property tcolor
>
> Ben

Kostas has updated the changeset for 2 ...

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31800

Now the FLTK backend renders the axis labels in the colors specified by the
axis properties.

The first changeset functions for me. However, it differs from Matlab in that
the line type for the major and minor grids are the same. In matlab the major
grid type switches to a solid line when the minor grid is on.

Ben