Re: Building on OSX without package managers

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building on OSX without package managers
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:40:16 -0500

On 25-Jan-2011, Richard Campbell wrote:

| The BLAS I am trying to compile against is the one built into OSX
| (linked to by "-framework vecLib". If I try to compile with "-arch
| x86_64" but without "--enable-64" I get the following error:
|
| configure: error: A BLAS library was detected but found incompatible
| with your Fortran 77 compiler settings.

This likely has nothing to do with --enable-64.

Precisely how did you configure Octave in this case?  Do you have
-ff2c in your FFLAGS?  I think your BLAS and LAPACK libraries were
compiled with an older version of gfortran so used a different calling
convention for some things which are now incompatible with they way
gfortran works.  See the explanation of -ff2c in the gfortran manual
for more details.

If -ff2c doesn't fix the problem, then post the parts of config.log
that lead up to this error.

Perhaps the README.MacOS should have a clearer description of why
-ff2c is needed if you compile with Apple's veclib.