Re: ARPACK for 3.6.0

From: Rik
Subject: Re: ARPACK for 3.6.0
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:20:15 -0800

On 12/15/2011 08:11 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 13-Dec-2011, Rik wrote:

> following
> | > |

> | > This part I can do.

> | > I don't know how to write a test to do that reliably.  As I recall,
> | > the failures were not predictable.
> | I believe there was a specific matrix that would trigger the bug from a
> | 2006 report (http://www.inf.usi.ch/phd/hall/core-matrix.oct).  But coding
> | this up as a C or Fortran test doesn't seem like a lot of fun.
>
> My initial reaction was to go ahead and write a test, but now I see
> that it's a sparse matrix, so that makes it a bit more complicated.
There was a lot of work done on this problem.  See the bug report at
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31479)
> | I was
> | thinking of just using library version numbers.
>
> I'd rather avoid version numbers in autoconf checks if possible.
>
> If it is not easy to generate a direct test for arpack, then how about
> just adding at test to the test suite?  Do you have a link to the bug
> report that goes along with that matrix?  Then at least people who run
> the test suite will see a failure if they have a copy of arpack that
> has the bug.  We could include some explanation in a comment with the
> test.
I'm attaching an amended script from the original bug report.  I
benchmarked the for loop and on octave-3.2.4 it segfaults after a mean
number of 7 trials.  99.9% of the distribution is less than 32, but the
maximum value I ever saw was 47.  Accordingly, I set the test threshold at
50.  On octave-3.5.90+ the 50 iterations take 0.2 seconds so there isn't
significant overhead in adding this to the test suite.

--Rik