Re: Octave/GUI tests

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Octave/GUI tests
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 15:09:26 -0700

Excerpts from Michael Goffioul's message of Sat May 26 08:28:00 -0700 2012:
> - using the "exit" menu item while a gnuplot window is opened leads to a
> segfault

I am obtaining some segfaults as well in other situations. I added the
following to OctaveLink::terminateOctave, and now the segfaults are
gone:

  octave_syscalls::kill (octave_syscalls::getpid(), 1);

In particular, it cleanly ends even with a Gnuplot window
open. However, I am not sure this is the most elegant way to terminate
Octave. I am not very familiar with the Octave API, maybe there is a
better way to end Octave from the GUI in terminateOctave, so the
segfaults are avoided.

Also, I decided to disable the exit and quit commands in the terminal,
adding

  quit_allowed = false;

to OctaveLink::launchOctave. This way, Octave runs in "embedded mode"
and the GUI can only be exited from the menu or closing the main
window, but not the from the terminal. I have been extensively testing
the GUI to use it for my classes, and I think using embedded mode
solves many of the problems to cleanly finish the GUI.

Cheers,
Israel