Re: MacOS X App Bundle

From: c.
Subject: Re: MacOS X App Bundle
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:18:07 +0200

On 25 Jun 2012, at 14:09, Ben Abbott wrote:

> I assume you mean to install the MacPorts DMG and then use an Apple Script to
> run Octave ?
Yes, or even add the AppleScript based launcher on the disk image.

> That would be a nice feature to add to the wiki, but I don't think it is a
> replacement for the App bundle.  I'm hoping the Octave.app will behave like
> all other apps (just copy it and it will run).
Indeed that is what OSX users would typically expect from an app.
On the other hand there are other applications that are distributed
as .pkg files on a disk image and require running a windows-style
installer  (XCode, for example) so I think that just adding the AppleScript
launcher to the MacPorts .dmg would be a reasonable solution.

> Perhaps a new page can be added and given a title that avoids confusing what
> it describes with a full App bundle.
> Maybe something like "Apple Script Launcher"? I think that would be a nice
> addition for individuals who already have Octave installed via a package
> manager.
OK I'll try to find a correct place where to add that instructions.

> Ben
c.