Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 17:06:05 +0100

Excerpts from Daniel Carrera's message of Fri Nov 09 16:55:57 +0100 2012:
> Ok. As promised, today I went to the computer lab and I just spent an hour
> trying to get Octave-UPM working. Unfortunately, I failed. The culprit was
> the MVSC100.dll library.
>
> Initially I just installed the main Octave-UPM package and ignored the
> library (I got the impression that it was "extras", rather than a
> requirement). After I installed Octave-UPM, Windows refused to run it,
> complaining about the absence of MVSC100.dll. I tried downloading it
> online, to no avail. I eventually realized that the libraries link on the
> Octave-UPM website is an executable that contains this library, so I tried
> it. The installer ran for a while and then it hanged. I tried other
> installers that I found online, including Microsoft's website. Some seemed
> to go the whole way and then fail, others seemed to hang halfway, some
> complained that I wasn't installing them as administrator, and so on.

I use Visual Studio to compile everything, so you will need that
library. I am providing the Microsoft Visual Studio redistributable in
the same website as the installer, but I think it will require admin
permissions to install.

I am releasing a new version soon. I will try to include the required
libraries as an option with the installer.

> It would be great if Octave-UPM could install on its own, without requiring
> me to call the systadmin. For example, Scilab seems to manage this just
> fine (but I also observe that Enthought Python Distribution also hanged
> part way through the install).

Besides the problem with these libraries, you can do that with the
installer I provide. It can be installed by users without admin
permissions.

Thanks for your feedback!

Israel