Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: Result: Octave-UPM on Windows :-(
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:57:41 +0100

Excerpts from Jacob Dawid's message of Sat Nov 10 11:33:04 +0100 2012:
> What's the problem with compiling GNU Octave with MinGW? I know lots of
> people and there are prejudices against MinGW, but I could never find any
> arguments against MinGW except the usual blah that you hear from VS
> fanboys..

I found some compilation errors using QTCreator + MinGW, that do not
appear with QTCreator + Visual Studio. That's all, it was easier to
compile using VS. No strong feelings about VS or MingW :).

> I think it does not matter whether one or the other compiler
> produces better code (although that is arguable and you will find
> "benchmarks" to prove either one or the other opinion), but it is very
> important GNU Octave can be brought to other platforms with mere free
> software. Using Visual Studio would undermine this.

Using Visual Studio does not stop anyone from compiling the GUI using any
other compiler (free or proprietary). About using the GUI, compiling
with Visual Studio requires users to install some proprietary external
libraries. But target users are already in Windows, a proprietary
OS. So users can decide installing the libraries, or compiling by
themselves using any other compiler, or even switching to a free
platform where Octave is also available. I don't see how VS can
undermine anything.

Cheers,
Israel