Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4

From: Markus
Subject: Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:12:32 +0100

Am 2013-11-01 08:57, schrieb Philip Nienhuis:
Hi Markus

Markus wrote:
<snip>

I've pushed everything to my github repo[1] again (just the relevant
files for io).
hopefully i don't broke it now (That is quite possible) because i copy
and paste a lot.
Furthermore i've added some nice benchmarks at the end of the README.md[2]

Thanks, I'll have a look at it today and/or tomorrow.

I plan to finish an io-1.2.4 release soon (for Octave 3.6.x), I hope
this coming weekend; even if the new code has known deficiencies:
1. for 'xlsxread' only numeric output (no reading of cells with text);
2. for ods a bit on the slow side (otherwise fully flexible & operational);
3. for gnumeric no reading of cell contents with formulas (really a
gnumeric issue).

IMO 1. & 2. simply is the price to pay for not having Java or Windows
pkg (ActiveX). Doesn't matter, what counts is that there's choice.

I'd call the new OCT interface "experimental" in any case, as only you
and me have been able to test yet.

Would you agree with all this?

Yes, i'm fine with it.

cheers,