Re: X protocol errors

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: X protocol errors
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 09:28:44 -0400

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:24:07 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> As I recall, it is left to the theme to decide whether to display
> icons in the menus.

I think it's working for me now.

> Hmm, we already install a custom Qt message handler, but it just
> sends the messages to std::cerr, same as what the default Qt message
> handler would do for X11.
>
> Could you try the attached patch to make this function do nothing
> except report that it was called and let me know if all the protocol
> errors are changed to "FOO-I-HITHERE" instead?  If so, then it
> should be easy to redirect at least the warning messages to
> /dev/null or some log file instead of the terminal window.  We might
> also want to sleep before calling abort on the fatal messages to
> give some time to actually read the message...

Yes, all warnings are now FOO-I-HITHERE, one for every menu and submenu
I open. And now that I'm getting icons, I can verify that the warning
comes out whether or not an icon is shown or can be shown.

And I get the same warning on stderr when I run other Qt applications on
my Xvnc setup.

--
mike