Re: Compiled Octave 3.8.2 for Android. Plotting with gnuplot?

From: hl2modrift
Subject: Re: Compiled Octave 3.8.2 for Android. Plotting with gnuplot?
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:59:11 -0800 (PST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> The LD_LIBRARY_PATH and OCTAVE_HOME environment variables can probably
> fix this problem for you.  They have to be set before Octave starts, so
> you need a script to do that which then invokes the real Octave.  Take a
> look at the octave-wrapper.in file in
>
>    http://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave
>
> for example.
>
>> Also, if
>> anyone is interested, I will eventually do a writeup on XDA, as well as
>> provide a binary. I have yet to work out a few kinks, gnuplot refusing to
>> recognize libgd on configure and the overall size of octave (>1GiB), but
>> don't believe these will be as hard as some previous ones.
>
> Did you know that there is already a build of Octave and gnuplot for
> Android distributed through the google play store?
>
>    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.octave&hl=en
>
> jwe

Dynamic linking doesn't actually work on Android (at least in my case,) so
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or patchelf) was already a must. I had no clue about the
OCTAVE_HOME var though. I'll have to experiment with that.

Also, that build of Octave horribly outdated (~2012,) uses a chroot, lacks
many features, and doesn't work on my main device for whatever reason, hence
my obsessing over this for a few weeks. The first hints that this was
possible came from here:

   http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1586878

And while very, very little in that guide still applies, and much is
missing, it got me started in the right direction.