Re: nlinfit in octave

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: nlinfit in octave
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:07:22 +0200

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 05:51:37PM -0700, AsmaA wrote:
> - Check for name-value pairs. My code only assumes only one possible
> name-value pair input.

I don't understand what you mean here.

> > Copy, and make the appropriate slight changes to, 'optimset.m',
> > 'optimget.m', and '__all_opts__.m' from core Octave and rename them to
> > 'statset.m', 'statget.m', and e.g. '__all_stat_opts__.m',
> > respectively. For now, these functions can probably be distributed
> > with the optim package. 'nlinfit' will have to include a line
> > e.g. like
> >
> > ## PKG_ADD: __all_stat_opts__ ("nlinfit");
>
> Done in [2]-[4].

Can you please adher to the respective functions of the _current_
Octave version, with minimal changes. The original copyright in these
functions must be retained. The minor changes don't justify a further
copyright line. But it must be mentioned as a comment in the code that
you (not me) copied and slightly changed them. In the copyright
notice, it can't be stated that the function is part of Octave,
because strictly speaking it is not (it is meant to be distributed
with the optim package). Use 'this function' instead of 'Octave'.

>  I wasn't sure how to initialize __all_stat_opts__. I
> used __all_stat_opts__ ("stat_opts") where I created a function
> stat_opts in [5].

Initializing it this way is not necessary, __all_opts__ or
__all_stat_opts__ only store the options which specific functions
anounce. 'nlinfit' has to announce all options it means to support,
and only these, but including those it supports indirectly by calling
optimset with them. The latter of course means having some identical
options both in the optimset and in the statset system.

Have you got a private mercurial repository of your versions, or would
you like to make one? I could also do this with the versions you
published.

Olaf

PS: Please retain in your E-Mails the lines which state who is
cited. Please clean your code thoroughly of TABs.