Re: nlinfit in octave

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: nlinfit in octave
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 23:55:49 +0200

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 06:34:17PM +0100, Asma Afzal wrote:
> This is the git repository I work in
>
> https://github.com/AsmaAfzal/octave_workspace/

Ok, I didn't know github well, now I see that one can clone a git
repository from there. That's probably ok for us. I've cloned it.

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 09:03:09PM +0200, Oliver Heimlich wrote:

> On 20.06.2015 19:34, Asma Afzal wrote:
> >Is there an easy way to work on optim directly with the mercurial
> >repository sources?
> >
> >If I use that, I need to hg commit. hg archive. pkg uninstall/install
> >again n again. Just to check any change I make to the code.
>
> Asma, I don't know the internals of optim well, but I would assume
> that you could:
>
> 1. run “make” in the src/ directory of your optim working copy to
> create or update any oct files
> 2. run “octave --path ../octave-optim/src --path
> ../octave-optim/inst” or, alternatively, use corresponding addpath
> directives in your .octaverc file.
>
> Then you should be able to use your changes to the optim package
> without committing them and installing / loading the package.

It'd be still easier, because there are no oct-files involved. You
could work within the package repository the same way as you do it
now. But I didn't mean to directly use the package repository. It's
better to have the new functions somewhere else first (as it is
now). The git solution seems ok, since you already have such a
repository and you furthermore have a provider to publish it. (And
obviously you already have practice with mercurial also ...).

Olaf