Re: gnuplot graphics toolkit bugs

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: gnuplot graphics toolkit bugs
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:58:34 -0500

On 06/23/2015 08:58 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Jun 23, 2015, at 2:52 AM, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>

[snip]

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=43907
bug #43907: OpenGL render code called even when gnuplot is graphics_toolkit

Dan

Perhaps the most serious gnuplot 5 related bug is below. I’ve attached a patch
to the bug report, but since I’m not able to build Octave 4.x on Mac OSX, I
haven’t pushed it.

        http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42838

Ben

Well, there is a lot there for me to read, but let me just guess that this is the issue where default EPS mode uses grayscale, not color. And in gnuplot, the grayscale mode translates any non-white color to black, technically monochrome.

I had addressed this somewhat in the changeset:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44187
bug #44187: Bugs and modifications in print() with gnuplot graphics toolkit

by either not plotting the color background or using color terminal but casting all colors to a grayscale equivalent. But then I thought that was too much for one bug report and pulled back so that the black color-background-translates-to-black issue is still present.

My thinking was that perhaps I could get gnuplot to add a "grayscale" option in addition to "color" and "monotone". I didn't get much traction on that, but I could pursue it again. Looks like you've been working on it for some time, so if you have a good solution, that should do in lieu of a new gnuplot feature.

Dan