Re: C++ implemntation of textscan

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: C++ implemntation of textscan
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 01:00:36 -0700 (PDT)

LachlanA wrote
> Greetings all,
>
> I have almost finished a re-implementation of textscan.m in C++.  A patch
> relative to the 4.0.0 release is at
> <https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=35295>.  I have
> very limited internet access at the moment, but will try to get the latest
> mercurial tree and create a "proper" patch.
>
> My biggest concern is that it needs tellg(), which was explicitly disabled
> (#if 0) in libinterp/corefcn/c-file-ptr-stream.cc with the cryptic comment
> "FIXME", giving no indication of why it was disabled.  I removed the #if 0
> it and it passes the test suite on my Linux system (except the SVD test
> that always fails).  I don't have access to a Windows machine to see if it
> causes problems with their EOL conversions.
>
> I would be very grateful if people could give some feedback on this patch.

Thanks very much for this work, Lachlan.

I'll have a go with it this week.

As to the test suite, I had a quick look:

(1) There are several tests in strread.m that actually test functionality of
textscan(). I'll single them out for you and place them at that patch
report.

(2) In addition I have several other patches for textscan.m (+ actually
strread.m) for bitwidth output (i.e, %f32, %int8 etc format specifiers). I
think some are in patches uploaded to the patch tracker at
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7817. Looking there I noted the latest ones
(from this summer) are missing. I'll either upload that patch (probably) or
filter out + upload the tests.

(3) I have %[] , %[^] and %q format specifiers working (with several
limitations due to strread.m's setup of course) that are also in a
textscan.m/strread.m patch, but I think I never uploaded them. There are
some tests in the relevant patches that I'll sort out and upload as well.

As I'm a bit distracted at the moment so it may take a while.

Philip