Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 19:04:33 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----
>From: Abhinav Tripathi
>To: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
>Cc: "Octave-maintainers; Colin Macdonald ; Mike Miller
>Date: 2016/6/15, Wed 16:23
>Subject: Re: Building PyTave on windows - cygwin
>

>On Jun 15, 2016 4:20 AM, "Tatsuro MATSUOKA" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> How about set CPPFLAGS and environment variables before configure?
>>
>> CPPFLAGS='-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+
>> -IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' \
>> ./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev
>>

>> Tatsuro
>Thanks, setting CPPFLAGS added extra flags to compiler and the compilation
>passed. But, we would probably need a more generic solution.
>I tried replacing all '\' by '/' in the variable in the makefile but it didn't
>work. I've very little experience with makefiles and I got some weird errors
>about the variable not been defined!!
>Although I left that to be dealt later as the compilation is successful now.
>.
>But the linking step fails now.
>It calls grep then sed and then:
>It somehow gives a warning that the library file have been moved (which is
>present in /e/octave_dev/lib/octave/4.1.0+/)
>And tries to use it from /usr/lib/octave/4.1.0+!!
>But the library files are actually present in the previous directory only and
>not in /usr/lib
>(I can't paste the output now, I'll paste it in the evening if the problem
>still persists)
>.
>I'm trying to see where grep/sed are called. Or where is the library being
>searched in /usr/lib...
>Any suggestions?
>.
>Abhinav

Perhaps this is due to mix of the msys (inside octave) and msys2 (outside
octave).
For octave build, the external libraries are only JAVA related things and their
include files and
libraries  can be set in configure option like

../octave/configure
--prefix=/c/usr/Tatsu/program/Octave/octaveBuild/4.1.0+/usr/local \
--disable-docs \
--with-java-homedir=/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java/jdk1.8.0_91/bin \
--with-java-includedir=/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java/jdk1.8.0_91/include \
--with-java-libdir=/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Java/jdk1.8.0_91/lib

However the above can be used only for octave itself case.

At this moment, it is better to find compromising points to go further.

Second workaround is to add also LDFLAGS like

CPPFLAGS='-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+
-IE:/octave_dev/include/octave-4.1.0+/octave' \
LDFLAGS='-L/e/ocgtave_dev/lib' \
./configure --with-octave=/e/octave_dev

(It may be required other -L<some lib dir> flag in LDFLAGS.)

We have to construct msys2 based system and
it also use config tools, include files and libraries in the octave directories.
(bin, include and lib)
I am at the moment very occupied with the jobs of my University so that
I cannot take the time for arrange better build environments.

Tatsuro