Re: Release 4.2 Kickoff

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Release 4.2 Kickoff
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 11:41:58 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Rik <address@hidden>
> To: Octave-Maintainers <address@hidden>
> Date: 2016/6/28, Tue 01:13
> Subject: Release 4.2 Kickoff
>
> 6/27/16
>
> All,
>
> I've created the 4.2 release checklist to organize our activities
> (http://wiki.octave.org/4.2.0_Release_Checklist).  The corresponding bug
> list is http://wiki.octave.org/Bug_Fix_List_-_4.2_Release.
>
> The first activities are all based on identifying what needs to be fixed
> before the release can happen:
>
> 1) File bug reports for all outstanding bugs known, but not reported
>     Put out a general call for reports on Octave-Maintainers and
> Octave-Help list
>     Completion Date:
>
> 2) Review patch tracker/bug list for any patches submitted that may be
> included before release
>     Completion Date:
>
> 3) Identify Bugs which *must* be fixed prior to release
>     Review bugs on tracker for possible inclusion in list
>     Review bugs and update to correct category, such as Patch submitted
>     Completion Date:
>
> Consider the first item done with my Request for Comments e-mail.  Any
> outstanding problems should be reported to the bug list so that we have a
> record of them and can properly sort them based on importance.
>
> The 4.2 bug fix list needs to be populated after reviewing the bug tracker
> and patch tracker (item #3).  Unfortunately I am quite busy at work
> presently and will have to take a less active role this release.  But, we
> have three new Octave maintainers--Avinoam, Lachlan, and Pascal--who have
> expressed willingness to help with sorting and prioritizing bugs.  For
> them, and everyone else, the page
> http://wiki.octave.org/Bug_Fix_List_-_4.2_Release is on the wiki so anyone
> may edit it.  I have used the following categories:
>
> Bugs marked as Crash
> Bugs marked Configuration and Build System
> Bugs with severity >= 4
> Bugs marked as regressions
> Bugs marked GUI
> Bugs related to Windows OS
> Other Bugs
>
> The 4.0 release had a special focus on the GUI and support for Windows.  It
> may be that those two categories should not be used for this release, and
> instead the most important bugs from those categories should be placed in
> one of the other classifications.  I would suggest taking two weeks, to
> July 8th, to accomplish the first three release tasks, before moving on to
> the much harder bit of fixing the identified bugs.
>
> Happy coding,
> Rik

I found in Bug Fix List - 4.2 Release at

The following bugs must be fixed prior to the next release. See also the 4.2
Release Checklist .

Cannot we list bugs that will be hopefully fixed on 4.2?

Bug on windows #42036 and #43099 are long lived and I think it is not easy to
fix in short term.
However, to memorize I would like file them to the wiki at lower priority.

Tatsuro