Re: Windows: different behaviour of octave.bat and octave-cli/gui.exe re

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Windows: different behaviour of octave.bat and octave-cli/gui.exe regarding modifying path
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 11:52:36 -0700

On 09/08/16 11:31, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
rom a user's point of view, it seems perfectly alright. I'll use
octave.bat for opening octave now.

Some time ago (6 months) I observed the following problem with the .bat file. No sure how reproducible it is; maybe Abhinav or others can check and report back.

1. I ran octave.bat (by using the file manager to find it and double clicking on it).

2. After the GUI started, I right-clicked on its icon on the "task/icon bar" (not sure what's its called, the icons to the right of the Start Menu"), and selected "pin here" (or something like that).

3.  Quit Octave.

4.  Click on the persistent task/icon bar icon.

5. It directly ran some .exe file (octave-gui.exe?) and not the bat file, therefore the PATH seemed incorrect (and I could not install packages).

This was on either Win 8 or Win 10.

best,
Colin