Re: Windows: different behaviour of octave.bat and octave-cli/gui.exe re

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Windows: different behaviour of octave.bat and octave-cli/gui.exe regarding modifying path
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 12:54:17 -0700

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 11:52:36 -0700, Colin Macdonald wrote:
> On 09/08/16 11:31, Abhinav Tripathi wrote:
> > rom a user's point of view, it seems perfectly alright. I'll use
> > octave.bat for opening octave now.
>
> Some time ago (6 months) I observed the following problem with the .bat
> file.  No sure how reproducible it is; maybe Abhinav or others can check and
> report back.
>
> 1.  I ran octave.bat (by using the file manager to find it and double
> clicking on it).
>
> 2.  After the GUI started, I right-clicked on its icon on the "task/icon
> bar" (not sure what's its called, the icons to the right of the Start
> Menu"), and selected "pin here" (or something like that).
>
> 3.  Quit Octave.
>
> 4.  Click on the persistent task/icon bar icon.
>
> 5.  It directly ran some .exe file (octave-gui.exe?) and not the bat file,
> therefore the PATH seemed incorrect (and I could not install packages).
>
> This was on either Win 8 or Win 10.

That is similar to https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47527. The bug looks
like it will be fixed soon so that pinning the provided shortcut to the
task bar will continue to run the right scripts. However, I don't think
starting Octave by clicking on the octave.bat file directly and pinning
the resulting task bar icon will work.

--
mike