Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Anyone in Europe willing to host OctConf 2016 ?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:24:37 +0100

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 6:03 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 01/30/2017 11:49 AM, c. wrote:
>
>> So volunteers to take care of this are urgently sought, the dates set are
>> March 20 to 22 2017.
>

> That is less than 8 weeks away.  More like 7.  I don't know that we have
> time to plan an effective meeting in that time, or even whether the key
> participants would be available to attend.
>
> Last year we decided to postpone because it was unrealistic to organize a
> meeting with only a few months lead time, but instead of using the extra
> time to organize and allow participants to make plans, we are back in the
> same situation.
>
> I hate to postpone again, but
>
>   * Is there still enough remaining time to plan a successful conference?
I guess it depends on the expectations.
The difficult part could be the social activities, as it involves 3rd parties.
Also for people far away, the short term might impact the flight prices.

>   * Is there enough time to prepare posters and presentations?
Based on  my experience in academia, I would say yes: where there's a
will, there's a way.

>   * Are there scheduling conflicts among the key participants that we need
> to have attend to make this useful?
I hope the key participants know who they are so they can answer this promptly.

> jwe

We can always postpone, but if we do it this time, lets just keep
organizing from now on.
I guess a wiki page for future OctConf Committee is needed to avoid
the problem we had now.