Re: Octave 5.0 Release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 5.0 Release
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:28:21 -0500

For version 5 and future releases, I would like to avoid pushing too many last minute changes and would prefer to go ahead with a release in January rather than delay. We've delayed in the past and ended up trying to fix everything. I think that's because when we announce a release is coming, everyone chimes in with their favorite bugs and feature requests and we end up trying to add a lot of new features and make everything perfect all in a rush. Making a lot of changes a the last minute is stressful and time consuming. We make mistakes. Then we delay more because of more bug reports coming in and end up making releases after 18-24 months instead of ~12. By making yearly major releases with bug fixing releases following 2-4 months later, I hope to make this a smoother and less traumatic process.