Re: Having problem building on macOS Mojave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Having problem building on macOS Mojave
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 10:29:59 +0800

> [...]
>> <!--Created using ToHtml.com on 2018-12-23 14:40:47 UTC -->
>>
>> I did some research and from your own thread from Jan of this year I think
>> it's safe to ignore the FreeType library warning. But the rest, I don't know
>> how to resolve. I tried searching, but not much help. And if the patch you
>> mentioned in the script:
>> patch -p1 < ../octave-qt_wait_on_worker_thread-DEBUG1-djs2018oct19.patch
>> (the QT patch)
>> patch -p1 $@ < ../open_kEClIYyW.patch
>> I don't know how to use it, where do I find the .patch file? Sorry, I'm
>> really new to this, and I really appreciate your help until now.
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 3:08 PM Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I have a local script to configure and a second script to make. I’ve
>>> attached them. The configure script includes some comments describing what
>>> I did to satisfy the dependencies, including readline.
>>>
>>> There are two bugs for macOS. I can provide the two patches needed once the
>>> configure/make scripts are working appropriately.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot, I'll try it out.
>>>
>>> I really appreciate this help and I hope I can start contributing soon :)
>>
>> The two patches for macOS are attached to the bug reports below.
>>
>>      https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50025
>>
>>      https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?55268
>>
>> If you’re looking for something to work on, either of these are good
>> candidates. Another possibility is to fix the mkoctfile for macOS. Carlo
>> maybe working on this already.
>>
>> Ben
>>

>> sorry tried formatting code to look better, failed
>>
>> configure: WARNING: FreeType library not found.  OpenGL graphics will not be
>> fully functional.
>> configure: WARNING: Qt libraries not found; disabling Qt GUI
>> configure: WARNING: SUNDIALS IDA library does not include the IDADENSE
>> linear solver, ode15i and ode15s will be disabled
>> configure: WARNING: SUNDIALS IDA library not configured with IDAKLU, ode15i
>> and ode15s will not support the sparse Jacobian feature
>> configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.
>> configure:
>> configure: NOTE: Libraries or auxiliary programs may be skipped if they are
>> not found
>> configure: NOTE: OR if they are missing required features on your system.
>>

> A couple of mail-list pointers.
>
> 1) We try to restrict posts to text only (no html).
> 2) Please reply at the bottom (bottom posting) so that the many mail-list
> archives can be read from top to bottom.,
>
> Back to the build problems, I’m using the taps below. Please check yours.
>
>  brew tap
> dpo/openblas
> homebrew/cask
> homebrew/core
>
> I’ve not update homebrew in a few weeks. It is possible something has changed
> on that end (happens more often than you’d think). I’ll update, try a fresh

My configure ends with ...

>  Build Octave Qt GUI:                  no (missing:qcollectiongenerator)
>   JIT compiler for loops:               no
>   Build Java interface:                 yes
>   Build static libraries:               no
>   Build shared libraries:               yes
>   Dynamic Linking API:                  dlopen
>   Include support for GNU readline:     yes
>   64-bit array dims and indexing:       yes
>   64-bit BLAS array dims and indexing:  no
>   OpenMP SMP multithreading:            no
>   Truncate intermediate FP results:     yes
>   Build cross tools:                    no
>   Build docs:                           yes
>
> configure: WARNING: Your installation of Qt version 5 appears incomplete or
> broken in some way.  Fix that or use --with-qt=VER to use another version.
> configure: WARNING: one or more of the Qt utilities moc, uic, rcc, lrelease,
> qcollectiongenerator, and qhelpgenerator not found; disabling Qt GUI
> configure:
> configure: NOTE: Libraries or auxiliary programs may be skipped if they are
> not found
> configure: NOTE: OR if they are missing required features on your system.

Notice that the configure script includes the notes below.

—————————
# Start with Octave to fulfill most dependencies
brew install octave
brew uninstall octave
# Use Sundails27 instead of Sundials
brew unlink sundials
brew install sundials27
# Add qscintilla2
brew install qscintilla2
# Use Homebrew's texinfo
brew install texinfo
# Use Homebrew's bison
brew install bison
—————————

Your sundials warning/errors may be due to not unliking “sundials” and not
installing “sundials27”

Regarding Qt,,this dependency is satisfied by “brew install octave”. I get an
error installing Octave due to a check for Java 1.6, which is optional for
Octave, but homebrew treats it like a requirement.

Above you’ll see my qt is missing:qcollectiongenerator. There looks to be a
regression with homebrew’s qt5 (I was able to compile octave an hour ago, but
am not able to after updating homebrew and upgrading its ports).

I’m adding Sebastian/Adrew t the cc-list. They each have more expertise with
homebrew than I.

Sebastial/Andrew,

Using qt5 from homebrew is resulting in missing:qcollectiongenerator. Do either
of you have a solution for that?

Ben