Re: Further suggestions for Copyright Notices

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Further suggestions for Copyright Notices
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 12:50:38 -0800

On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 21:41:55 +0100, ederag wrote:
> Just for information:
> if at some point a license short-form identifier would be useful,
> there is https://spdx.org/ids.

Personally I find both the standard GPL license statement and the SPDX
identifier to be useful, and I have started using both together in my
projects. Concretely:

    ## Copyright (C) 2019 Mike Miller
    ## SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-3.0-or-later
    ##
    ## This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    ## it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    ## the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    ## (at your option) any later version.
    ##
    ## This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    ## but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    ## MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    ## GNU General Public License for more details.
    ##
    ## You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    ## along with this program.  If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

I also updated Octave's parser in the version 6 branch so that the first
two lines can be swapped if the author wishes, and Octave will correctly
recognize "SPDX-License-Identifier" comment as the start of a license
block.

Cheers,

--
mike