Re: Further suggestions for Copyright Notices

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Further suggestions for Copyright Notices
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 00:58:30 -0500

On 1/7/20 3:16 PM, Rik wrote:
On 01/07/2020 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:

I agree with external code being excluded.  For the manual, what are the arguments against using the same system as for the code (consistency normally being a good thing)?

I'm OK with using the same copyright notice for the manual especially since much (most?) of it is made up of doc strings extracted from the sources. I was thinking more about whether we should continue to list the authorship the same way as we have now?

I used a script to generate the initial COPYRIGHT.md file.  I'm not sure that it's necessary to add it to the hg archive, but I can share it if there is interest.

If it is a one-off script needed to create the first version then it doesn't require version control.  If it is a script that will need to be executed every time there is a new release then that should go somewhere in the hg archive, maybe build-aux/?

No, it's not something that should need to be run again. I think we should just make corrections and maintain it mostly manually now. We can extract a list of most of the contributors for a given year from the hg archive automatically, then insert them in the file or update existing entries as needed.

I would change the visual formatting of the Copyright block.  Below is the current format as taken from wilkinson.m.

## [...]

function retval = wilkinson (n)

   if (nargin != 1)
     print_usage ();
   endif

As a programmer, I acknowledge the Copyright but I don't want to be distracted by it.  I would like to be able to immediately find where the code (my interest) begins.  To do that, I would set off the Copyright block in some manner from the rest of the file.  A common demarcation might be a line of 80 '#' characters.

I'm not a big fan of these kinds of markers, but it seems OK for the copyright. How about 72 characters? I don't know why, but like seeing a margin on the right side. Though line widths are kind of arbitrary now that we are not limited by 80x24 CRT displays. Also, maybe use C++ style '//' comments for these copyright notices as well?

Another demarcation might be two newlines after the end of the GPL clauses.

After doing some experiments with the comment markers above and below the text, I'm not sure that's really necessary.

Although copyright and license are different, I don't see the need to distinguish them so strongly by having two newlines after the copyright and before the GPL clauses.  I would take this back down to one newline.

OK.

Also, this file happens to still have an "Author:" line.  Is it still planned to remove these before the 6.1 release?

Yes, I just didn't get that far yet.