Re: Link in Copyright Notices

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Link in Copyright Notices
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 15:29:46 +0900

On 1/8/20 3:15 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 1/8/20 12:43 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
>
>> @jwe: In your changeset you created all links
>> "https://octave.org/COPYRIGHT.html/"; with trailing slash.  Is that a
>> typo?
>
> Oh, I guess it is a mistake.  I used the same format as
> <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/> without thinking that the link to the
> licenses page is a directory(?) name.  I thought that was just part of
> the markup.  And now that I think about it, I'm not even sure why that
> form is the recommended one for the copyright notice.  But that's what
> is in the example in the COPYING file.

Well, I think the FSF decided to favor a folder permalink, rather than a
document to stay flexible.  Basically both versions

  https://www.gnu.org/licenses
  https://www.gnu.org/licenses/

now redirect to

   https://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html

Personally, I prefer the trailing slash in this case.  At least I have
the idea not to address a certain document, but to get redirected to some.

>> Shall I add COPYRIGHT.md to the Octave homepage to make the link
>> "https://octave.org/COPYRIGHT.html"; part of the Jekyll-website, which
>> does not exist (404) yet?
>
> Yes, it would be great if you could do that, though the file may change
> a bit more before the 6.1 release so it would also be OK to wait until
> that happens.
>
> jwe

Okay, then I just add one version now for testing that everything is
working, and update at the time of the release again.

Best,
Kai