Re: Indices in octave.pdf fail?

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Indices in octave.pdf fail?
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 12:51:38 -0800

On 01/21/2020 12:25 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Re: Indices in octave.pdf fail?
From:
"Dmitri A. Sergatskov" <address@hidden>
Date:
01/21/2020 12:20 PM
To:
Mike Miller <address@hidden>
CC:
octave-maintainers <address@hidden>
Message:
4

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 3:02 PM Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 14:49:32 -0500, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone else seeing this problem with the Octave manual on the
> > development branch?
> >
> > If I go to the page for the Concept Index or Function Index or ... I find
> > just this bit of text
> >
> > (Skipped sorted index file in obsolete format)
> >
> > It was cumbersome, but I used hg bisect to track it down to this changeset
> >
> > changeset:   27780:0dad96574d12
> > user:        Rik <address@hidden>
> > date:        Fri Dec 06 11:24:16 2019 -0800
> > summary:     maint: update gnulib ahead of 6.1 release.
> >
> > Do we need to back this changeset out?  Should we update gnulib again in
> > case they have fixed whatever interaction there is with Texinfo?
> >

> I see the same on Fedora.

No, the indices all look fine for me, built with Texinfo 6.7.

But I am also building with an external Gnulib git clone. Can you try
building with

    ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/other/gnulib

I'll try again with a copy of gnulib from hg.octave.org.

I upgraded texinfo from 6.6 to 6.7 and now all is fine.

It's good that there is a quick workaround, but should we really require such a recent release (6.7 came out September 23rd, 2019) in order to build Octave?

Lots of machines won't have 6.7 for years.  Of course, since we distribute documentation in the tarball, this will principally affect developers, and not those doing just downloading, configuring, and making.

--Rik

--Rik