gnulib is no longer an hg subrepo

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: gnulib is no longer an hg subrepo
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:44:25 -0500

After this change (on stable, merged with default):

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ece72b94486f

the gnulib sources are no longer managed within the Octave mercurial archive as an hg subrepo. Instead, we now have the bootstrap script fetching a copy of gnulib using git.

After updating the Octave sources to get this change you will need to remove the gnulib subdirectory in your source tree and run bootstrap to pull a new copy of gnulib from upstream (commands executed at the top-level of the Octave source tree):

  hg pull -u
  rm -rf gnulib
  ./bootstrap

The gnulib revision is now stored in the bootstrap.conf file instead of .hgsubstate. You may override this revision by setting GNULIB_REVISION in the environment when you run the bootstrap script. For example (bash syntax):

  GNULIB_REVISION=8cb410df8b66d3bd0fe43ef580a9f912cc402a96 ./bootstrap

If the revision is empty, bootstrap will use whatever the current revision is in your gnulib directory.

Note that the specified revision must be present in your gnulib source tree. If it is not, then bootstrap will fail to set the revision until you update your gnulib sources from upstream so that it includes the revision you are requesting. This limitation is a feature imposed by the bootstrap script that we inherit from gnulib. If it turns out to be inconvenient or confusing, we may attempt to make updates happen automatically when the requested revision is not present.

You may also continue to use an external copy of gnulib by using the --gnulib-srcdir option:

  ./bootstrap --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/gnulib

See also the following bug report:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57044