Re: Getting Tablicious on Octave Forge

From: José Abílio Matos
Subject: Re: Getting Tablicious on Octave Forge
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 10:54:14 +0000

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 10:22:00 PM WET Andrew Janke wrote:
> Thanks for trying my library. Let me know if you have any issues. And
> feel free to report bugs directly to the project page
> athttps://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/issues.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

FWIW in order to understand my motivation to work on octave is two-fold. I
work with other colleagues on using the Lanczos Tau methods to solve integro-
differential equations (and related). They started the project in Matlab and I
have expanded it making also compatible with Octave (the only one I use).

Table allows in this context a nice presentation of the results. Since I also
use python and pandas it would be nice to have a similar integration with
jupyter so that a table output it is nicely formatted in the output.

I am also part of a team that teaches Numerical Methods (and some programming)
to Master students in Economics. After brief introduction to language the next
module is "Data Analysis", we start by studying simple data (in csv) and
proceed to more complex subjects like a simple study of daily data from stock
exchange indices that has heterogeneous column types.

Table with the io part would simplify a lot the treatment of the data.
Currently we use textscan, to show how to deal with real world data files. The
main issue is that for students with a minimal background in computing that
approach may seem daunting at first (and the treatment of date-times presents
its challenges).

Best regards,
--
José Matos