Re: Getting Tablicious on Octave Forge

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Getting Tablicious on Octave Forge
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 13:31:36 -0500

On 1/30/20 1:26 PM, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> On Saturday, January 18, 2020 7:18:00 PM WET Andrew Janke wrote:
>> Hi, Octave folks,
>>
>> I think my Tablicious package is now stable enough (with the version
>> 0.3.0 release) for it to be exposed to the general Octave user
>> community. I would like to get it on Octave Forge as an External
>> Package, so people can make use of it, and I can get some user feedback
>> and bug reports.
>>
>> https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious
>>
>> If you're okay with this, could someone help me through the process of
>> submitting the package to Octave Forge?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andrew
>
> Hi Andrew,
>       I decided to try your package. I am unable to install it using
> octave 6, since I am running in-place it complains that I have an incomplete
> octave installation since:
>
> error: pkg: unable to find the mkoctfile command, Octave installation is
> incomplete
> error: called from
>     __gripe_missing_component__ at line 60 column 3
>     configure_make at line 50 column 7
>     install at line 196 column 7
>     pkg at line 505 column 9
>
> If I install it using octave 5(.1.0) it works yet trying to load it from
> octave 6 says:
>
>>> pkg load tablicious
> error: '__octave_link_register_doc__' undefined near line 35, column 35
> error: called from
>     /home/jamatos/.local/share/octave/tablicious-0.3.0/PKG_ADD at line 35
> column 3
>     load_packages_and_dependencies at line 56 column 5
>     load_packages at line 53 column 3
>     pkg at line 525 column 7
>
> Is this to be expected?
>

> FWIW I am running Fedora (Linux) 31.

Hi José! Thanks for trying my package.

That first problem about mkoctfile, I have no idea what's going on.
Maybe your Octave installation actually is broken? Maybe something needs
to be added to your $PATH (the regular PATH environment variable, not
the Octave path)?

That second problem about __octave_link_register_doc__: That's already
fixed in the new 0.3.4 release of Tablicious
(https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/issues/67); I just forgot
to update the README to point the download link at the new package.
Please try installing 0.3.4; it should work under both Octave 5 and 6:

pkg install
https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/releases/download/v0.3.4/tablicious-0.3.4.tar.gz

Cheers,
Andrew