Re: Octave 5.2.0 release

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: Octave 5.2.0 release
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 12:52:15 +0900

On 2/1/20 7:43 PM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> Am 31. Januar 2020 um 10:01 Uhr schrieb "Kai Torben Ohlhus":
>> Tag MXE repository 9057112edb8e:
>>
>> [ ] @jwe,others?
>
> I added the tag here:
> https://hg.octave.org/mxe-octave/rev/40f2726a5981
>
> Markus

Thank you Markus.

On 2/1/20 9:41 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> On 2/1/20 9:25 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
>>
>> [...] On the build server, can you try running with Xvfb if
>> you have that available? For example
>>
>>     xvfb-run -a octave --eval "available_graphics_toolkits ()"
>>     xvfb-run -a make all  ## to build doc/interpreter images
>>

> Thanks for the hint Mike.
>
> [...]
>
> As solution, I suggest, jwe, we should publish your tarballs with nicer
> pictures today to keep the release date.
>
> I restart my builds from scratch and upload asap.  For anyone who cannot
> wait another day for the Windows installers, can refer to
> https://octave.space for almost nice builds.

Sorry for the delay.  Using `xvfb-run` turned out to be more difficult
than I expected on OpenSUSE.  While creating the figures, my build dies
with messages like the following.  A moderate google&try&error did not
fix the problem with my system.  I simply do not know enough about this
tool yet.

  xvbf-run ==> libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create any config

Finally, at my University, I opened a VNC connection to that build
server and things "work".  Figures are generated by "gl2ps" rather than
"gnuplot".

@jwe: do you agree with my latest build tarballs, to get some progress
with the 5.2.0 release?

   https://octave.space/

The MXE builds might take up to two further hours from now, the links on
the website are dead yet.

@Mike, jwe:  Do you run Ubuntu 18.04 or Debian 10 for your Octave
development?  I want to reinstall the build server to obtain more
reproducibility = less pain for Octave 6.1.

Kai