preferred reference format to help/manual?

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: preferred reference format to help/manual?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 16:44:18 -0500

(texinfo newbie, so please correct my ignorance here)

looking at different docstrings I see mixed uses of:

@ref{Text Properties}

and

@ref{Text Properties,, Text Properties}

and similar.

is the redundancy necessary?  Why the skipped input, and is there something about the Octave manual layout that requires the seemingly redundant node callout?

The latter just shows up as a "Text Properties" hyperlink in the rendered docs, but in text displays shows up as
*note Text Properties: Text Properties.

(and in the doc viewer only the first part is hyperlinked)

without the redundant node callout it's
  *note Text Properties::