Re: preferred reference format to help/manual?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: preferred reference format to help/manual?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 15:07:56 -0800

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 16:44:18 -0500, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> (texinfo newbie, so please correct my ignorance here)
>
> looking at different docstrings I see mixed uses of:
>
> @ref{Text Properties}
>
> and
>
> @ref{Text Properties,, Text Properties}
>
> and similar.
>
> is the redundancy necessary?  Why the skipped input, and is there something
> about the Octave manual layout that requires the seemingly redundant node
> callout?

Well the syntax is described here:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/_0040ref.html

In your particular example, the link to "Text Properties" in plot.txi
was added in 2008, for Octave version 3.2.0.

Then the links to properties in individual function docstrings (text.m
in this case) were added in 2018, for Octave version 4.4.0.

So the link in plot.txi after @DOCSTRING(text) is now redundant, can
probably be dropped.

It might be better to use the one-argument syntax, it only depends on
how we want the link to be formatted in each particular usage.

Does that help?

--
mike